Ephesians 5:33 Nevertheless, each individual among you also is to love his own wife even as himself, and the wife must see to it that she respects her husband.
So many instructions that I read when trying to put racetracks, a new bike, or furniture together around my house can be totally confusing. I recently had to convert my son’s bed from a crib to a full size bed, and there were absolutely no instructions at all – just a picture. Eventually, I figured it out and his bed looks just like the picture, with the exception of a few left over bolts and a piece that I have no idea where it is supposed to go.
Thankfully, God gives us instruction regarding marriage that is much more straightforward than the instructions you get for assembling a tv stand. In Ephesians 5:33, God cuts down all the instruction of how husbands and wives should treat each other to a simple statement.
Husbands, love their wives like they love themselves. Wives, respect their husbands.
That is pretty simple, and very straightforward. We love and we respect. Sounds so simple doesn’t it? But what do these two simple statements look like – in real life. Here are my thoughts:
Husbands, love their wives like they love themselves.
- A husband does not disrespect himself, nor allow others to do so. Likewise he shows his wife respect.
- He doesn’t allow others to talk rudely or roughly to him either. Likewise he communicates lovingly with his wife.
- He protects his wife at all costs and at every turn.
- He listens, because he cares.
- He provides and takes care of his wife, with her best interest in view.
- He forgives and set’s aside who is right or wrong.
- He seeks to live at peace with his wife – every possible time.
Wives, respect their husbands.
Ok, I had a long list of how a wife should respect her husband. But wisdom kicked in and I quickly deleted every single one of them. LOL.
So wives, jump in, how do you think a wife shows respect to her husband?
Husbands, please jump in too. How do you love your wife, how do you want to be loved?