How would being debt free change your marriage?
I ask the question and dream of that day when my wife and I are debt free, at the same time. At times it seems like an impossible dream. But I was just reading about a young married couple on CNNMoney.com that has reduced their debt significantly. Hearing of how their marriage has improved, has stimulated some thoughts…
Just think of all of the stress, the arguments and the anxiety that could be erased from relationships by erasing credit car debt, car loans, and their mortgage, etc… What vacation could you take, what intimacy could be enjoyed, what could you give your kids, if so many bills were not standing in the way? I promise the point of this post is not to drive us all to tears. Rather, the point is to encourage us to begin a plan of eliminating our debt.
I am not a financial expert – at all. So let’s leave the hardcore financial advice to those that are. In fact, if you have some insight, please share, I am all ears. But, more importantly than the financial discipline that we have to display to reduce our debt, how do we prepare ourselves to to tackle our mountain of debt, spiritually?
4 Spiritual Debt Reduction Perspectives
- Little By Little. Teach us to be patient in the process of reducing debt. Exodus 23:30 I will drive them out before you little by little, until you become fruitful and take possession of the land. A mountain of debt did not appear over night. We worked our way into our mountain, probably, over a period of years. In a similar perspective, God told Israel that He would clear the way into the “promised land” in front of them little by little, until they were able to possess what God had for them. Settle into the work of reducing debt, it is most likely going to take some time and the help of the Lord to get to the land of Debt Free.
- Perspective of Needs. God, shift our perspectives about our spending habits. Jesus reminds us of a perspective of seeking God’s righteousness, above the many counterfeits. When we do so, God adds everything that we need to us… Matthew 6:26 Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they? Matthew 6:30-32 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith! 31 Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’ 32 For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
- Learned Contentment. God, teach us to be content with what we have and where we are. What can we go with out, in order to gain financial freedom in this marriage? Philippians 4:11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.
- Understand Weakness and Weapons. God, show me where I am weak and how my/our debt is being used as a weapon against peace in our marriage. Isaiah 54:16-17 “Behold, I Myself have created the smith who blows the fire of coals And brings out a weapon for its work; And I have created the destroyer to ruin. 17 “ No weapon that is formed against you will prosper; And every tongue that accuses you in judgment you will condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, And their vindication is from Me,” declares the Lord.
EYM, getting to debt free in a relationship is, for many, a huge challenge. It will also be a huge blessing!
- Is it time to come side by side each other and tackle the mountain, with the direction and guidance of the Lord?
- How do you envision that becoming debt free will bless your marriage?
- Have you already gone through the process, share some encouragement with someone else.
Receive EYM Updates Right In Your EmailBox
NEW BOOK: Elevate Your Marriage: 7 Practices of Highly Intimate Couples
Husbands, Wives, God Series
Events & Speaking Engagements
April 27, 2013 Elevate Your Marriage Conference at Clearview Baptist Church , 8660 Winands Road, Randallstown, Md. 21133
May 13, 2013 10am CDT/11am EST Front Page Morning Show (Radio) with host Mark Halvorsen on WWIB 103.7 FM in Wisconsin. Outside of Wi. listen live online at wwib.com
May 16, 2013 7:40am EST, Mayhem in the A.M. Morning Show LIVE. Toledo, Ohio 89.3 FM YES-FM . Also tune in to hear the interview on yeshome.com
May 24, 2013 7-10am EST Ken and Deb Morning Show. Edward will be talking about Elevate Your Marriage book on Moody Radio 89.3 in Quad Cities Illinois.
May 30, 2013 11amEST/10amCT Tune in to the This is the Day radio program with Nancy Turner on Moody Radio - Chicago 90.1 WMBI. Edward will be talking about the recent blog post, "6 Things That Make an Exceptional Spouse".
June 1, 2013 Book Signing at A Quiet Place Bookstore, 4736 Liberty Heights Ave., Baltimore, Md. 21207
June 29, 2013 11am-1pm Mini-Marriage Seminar & Book Signing at A Quiet Place Bookstore, 4736 Liberty Heights Ave., Baltimore, Md. 21207. Marriage seminars will be held at: 11, 11:30, 12 & 12:30.
July 6, 2013 Elevate Your Marriage Conference, Sandersville, Ga. 9:30 a.m.
July 11-14th, 2013 Edward @ EYM blog will be hosting a Pastor's Roundtable on Marriage at the Better Marriages Conference in Raleigh on July 12th. Come join me. Mention Elevate Your Marriage when you register!
Sat, July 13th Edward and Kimber will speaking on Elevating Communication in Marriage at the Better Marriages Conference.
Fri. Sept. 20th Exhibiting at the Congressional Black Caucus, Washington, DC
Sat. Oct. 19th 10am-3pm, Elevate Your Marriage Conference at St. Mark's Church, 1440 Dorsey Rd., 21076, Hanover, Md.
Sat. Nov. 2nd, Elevate Your Marriage at Mt. Nebo AME, Bowie Md.
Fri. Jan. 17th, 7-9pm Elevate Your Marriage Conference at Bethel AME (Baltimore City Location), 1300 Druid Hill Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21217
Sat. Jan. 18th, 10am-3pm, Elevate Your Marriage Conference at Bethel AME (Owings Mills Location), 10989 Red Run Boulevard, Owings Mills, MD 21117
- Christian Marriage (373)
- Daily Marriage Meditation (3)
- Easter and Marriage (9)
- Elevated Husband's (164)
- Elevated Intimacy (87)
- Elevated Parenting (91)
- Elevated Wives (138)
- Engaged & Newlywed (45)
- Friday Prayer (5)
- Interviews and Special Guests (7)
- LEAP for Ghana (6)
- LIFT Series (11)
- Love and Marriage (206)
- Marriages of Christmas (13)
- Marriages of the Bible (84)
- Money & Marriage (31)
- Mothers Day Everyday (8)
- NARME Conference (6)
- Praying Spouse (40)
- Stay-At-Home Moms (12)
- Uncategorized (22)
- Video (19)
- Weekly Devotions (29)