How long has it been since you laughed? REALLY laughed? How long has it been since you laughed with your spouse? Kids?
As I have often written, it can be so easy to get caught up in the daily grind to the point that we just go through the motions. The problem is that when we just go through the motions, we often miss out on so much of the joy life has to offer in the relationships we have.
Just to get you started brainstorming ideas, here are the first 5 ideas that come to mind:
1. Have a family comedy night and watch a family-friendly comedian together. Comedians like Tim Hawkins bring humor into life and can help spark laughter in a family setting.
2. Start a journal of funny family moments (be sure that all involved are okay with including their own funny moments – embarrassment and hurt feelings wouldn’t help strengthen relationships!)
3. Host a game night! Fun and games promote laughter and togetherness (and help children learn life lessons like following the rules , good sportsmanship, and taking turns)
4. Practice Mindfulness in your family time. Make a conscious effort to really enjoy the time you have with your family. Take time to really listen to your spouse and respond, putting away distractions. Watch your children play and learn new things – there can be tremendous joy in just watching them grow and learn!
5. Plan outings as a couple or family that promote togetherness and communication. Whether going to feed the squirrels at the park or having a picnic in a favorite location, find something your family (whether it’s just you and your spouse, or if you have kids or grandkids) can do to enjoy time together and laugh.
What ideas do you have to promote joy and laughter in your family?
Keri Kitchen is a devoted wife and mother, blogger, author of Love Isn’t Selfish, licensed mental health counselor, and founder of The Carys Rainn Foundation. To read more about what God is doing in her life, visit her blog at www.aftertherainn.com