Typically, I write about things we should do to elevate our marriages. Today, I wanted to turn it around just a bit. Instead of focusing on tips for what to do, I would like to focus on some actions that will lead to the destruction of your marriage. So, assuming you DON’T want that to happen, maybe this post will give you a better idea of what red flags to avoid along the way!
1. Never make eye contact.
2. Stay so busy with “life” that you barely have time to say hello, let alone have a conversation.
3. Avoid communicating about what really bothers you or gives you stress.
4. Don’t tell your spouse when you’re upset… give him or her the cold shoulder instead and let them guess.
5. Gripe. Complain about every little habit that annoys you.
6. Badmouth him or her on social media.
7. Discuss in detail all the things about your spouse that frustrate you… with a friend of the opposite sex.
8. Declare war against your In-laws.
9. Criticize your spouse’s parenting… on every issue.
10. Ignore your child(ren)’s problem behaviors.
11. Spend more money than you have.
12. Don’t tell your spouse about that secret credit card…or 5.
13. End every conversation with a jab at some area of insecurity for your spouse.
14. Name call. “Stupid,” “Lazy,” etc.
15. Avoid giving any compliments.
16. Avoid any gestures of affection.
17. Throw around the idea of Divorce frequently.
18. Openly flirt with or stare at members of the opposite sex, especially (but not only) when with your spouse.
19. Take over things your spouse begins to do… clearly showing that you have no confidence in his or her ability to complete the task.
20. Sneak. Hide the truth about things. Don’t include your spouse in things that are important to you.
Did any of these hit a sore spot in your marriage?
Keri Kitchen is a devoted wife and mother, blogger, licensed mental health counselor, and founder of The Carys Rainn Foundation. To read more about what God is doing in her life, visit her blog at www.aftertherainn.com