There is nothing more powerful than a marriage fueled by the Word of God and today I want to share a few passages that your marriage should be aware of. They speak truth, wisdom and insight about the real life challenges that apply to us all. Surely, memorizing Scripture is not a quick fix or magic bullet for dealing with what we face. But the more of God’s Word that we can get inside of us, the easier it is to react according to the Word in the heat of marriage. As Psalms 119:11 says, Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
- Colossians 1:13 For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son,
- Colossians 2:9-10 For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, 10 and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority;
- Ephesians 4:22-24 that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, 23 and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, 24 and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth.
- Ephesians 5:33 Nevertheless, each individual among you also is to love his own wife even as himself, and the wife must see to it that she respects her husband.
- Philippians 2:10-11 so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
- Psalm 90:12 So teach us to number our days, That we may present to You a heart of wisdom.
- Exodus 14:13-14 But Moses said to the people, “Do not fear! Stand by and see the salvation of the Lord which He will accomplish for you today; for the Egyptians whom you have seen today, you will never see them again forever. 14 The Lord will fight for you while you keep silent.”
- Genesis 1:1-3 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters. 3 Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light.
- Isaiah 53:4-5 Surely our griefs He Himself bore, And our sorrows He carried; Yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, Smitten of God, and afflicted. 5 But He was pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him, And by His scourging we are healed.
- Isaiah 55:8-11 “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” declares the Lord. 9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts. 10 “For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, And do not return there without watering the earth And making it bear and sprout, And furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; 11 So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.
These are just a few of my favorites. How about you, where do you find that the wisdom of the Bible speaks to your marriage?